Monday, October 27, 2014

Primary Program

Every year, children ages 3-12 put on a program during Sacrament Meeting based on the theme for that year.  Each child has the opportunity to stand at the podium and share a one to five sentence part.  It ranges from a simple truth such as "I am a child of God" to a full verse of scriptures or even the child's own testimony.  Of course, music is also involved.

I do not know this year's Primary Theme.  I would assume based on the program yesterday it had to do with families.  Regardless, these primary programs always bring the spirit.

Lucky for me, I only have one niece and yesterday was her very first primary program.  My sweet sister-in-law invited us all to attend their ward.  When my niece stood up, I couldn't help but smile.  That dark hair and those beautiful green eyes get me every time.  She said her part perfectly.  All by herself with no help.  "Heavenly Father commanded Jesus Christ to create the Earth as a home for His children."  I didn't expect the flood of tears that would pour down my cheeks as I witnessed the simple testimony of that little four year old.  Besides the fact that I am an Ordonez and we cry for pretty much everything, the spirit in that meeting was powerful.  How blessed I feel to have the knowledge of God's plan of salvation.  How grateful I am to know that my brother and sister-in-law are teaching their daughter to walk in the paths of truth and righteousness.

Saturday afternoon, I received a text from my cousin letting me know she wanted to go to church with me.  This cousin has been less active for many years.  Receiving that text from her gave me hope.  She agreed to come along to my niece's presentation.  I was surprised to find tears rolling down her cheeks too.  These small children were sharing with us the purpose of our families and the important role fathers and mothers play in our lives.  My dear cousin felt the spirit and expressed her love for her family and the earnest desire she has to one day have a happy family of her own.

It was a beautiful Sunday with many tender feelings coming out from those we least expected.


1 comment:

  1. Wow....your blog looks so nice and updated!!! Love it! Mine is well overdue for a makeover!

    I am so glad she came. I was really surprised to see her crying throughout the whole program. Sam told me she was crying, and when I looked over I once again started to cry, too, because it was just such a sweet experience to see her spirit being touched. I told Sam about what she said with how excited she was to get her life in order and to get married and have children and that she couldn't wait to have kids and see them in their primary program. He was shocked she said that, but was filled with hope and happiness to hear that is her goal. I am so thankful you invited her. It was a wonderful Sunday for sure!

    ReplyDelete